We’ve had intense heat here in Wales now for weeks, and the landscape is starting to resemble a desert in places. For the landscape artist it’s an interesting time, and strangely our skies have not been entirely blue and cloudless – in fact the cloudscapes have been fascinating and worth sketching in their own right. Here are a few tips for working outside on hot days:
- Get up at 6am and be out there sketching and painting by 7am while it’s still cool;
- Try to keep the paper out of direct sunlight as it hurts the eyes and affects tonal values;
- Use plenty of water, both in your washes and to drink!
- Watch that suncream as it can act as a resist to watercolours;
- In case you don’t find any shade take along a sun-shade or umbrella;
- Make the most of those lovely cast shadows, and they will be at their best at 7 am!